background

Monday, February 9, 2009

The Most Anti-Climatic Situation EVER!

Yesterday I was at work, trying to go home and all of a sudden the activities coordinator runs into the med room and starts freaking out saying, "Oh my gosh! We have a resident, and there is blood... somebody needs to get out here quick!" Well at the time there were the two med aides who had just came on shift and me (who was trying to go home) standing there and as soon as she said that the other two just kind of stared at each other and me.... well being the blood loving nursing student that I am---I jump into action and said "Awesome!! I'm totally on it!!"

I grabbed the first aide kit and ran down to the activities room, the whole time preparing myself for massive amounts of blood, elderly people freaking out, etc. Did I find that??? Well by the title I'm sure you can guess that is the exact opposite of what I found. One of the caregivers and I ran into the room to find... duh-duh-duh!!! A 2cm skin tear with very minimal blood... so minimal that the client was able to clean it up with a tissue. I was not excited because I knew that because I found this I now had to fill out all the paperwork, make phone calls to family and her doctor, and chart. So I bandaged her up, even though she kept saying, "It's nothing really, I don't need anything..." Then I got to go through the long drawn out process of our redundant paper work, and calling family to assure them that nothing was wrong it was just procedure that I call, etc.

Finally I finish up and am ready to head home and then get suckered into another situation mainly due the fact that I am a nursing student, and because they know that I now get more responsibility... well within parameters. It's all good practice, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day, when my shift and shift report are over I just want to go home!

Oh also! Since we're on the subject of school and this is pretty amazing I must mention that I was able to finish my 60 question pharmacology test in twenty minutes! Now hearing that you might expect that my performance might not be as well as could have had I spent more time on it. Well now I can tell you that my 2o second per question approach led to a 93%... pretty much amazing!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I just read "So I bandaged her up" as "so I banged her up"...why not beat her up a little bit for some more blood. I was totally cracking up.