background

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

More Tales From The Lab...

After participating in skills lab this week, I've decided that I just need to record it because with all the crazy things I write about I think everyone is going to start thinking that I made these things up. On the contrary my friends, all the events are true, thus leading to the reason why I have amazing abs--- I spend three hours laughing!

This weeks adventures were in learning abdominal and cardiac assessment. Now last week when we were doing lung assessment, Tyler (one of the guys in my class) was the guinea pig and had to take his shirt off in front of everyone so that Denise could demonstrate for everyone (we all had to eventually at least with our partners, well the ladies kept their bras on). So this week as soon as we split into two groups and our group went into the NP practice lab, he was like "I am not taking my shirt off in front of everyone this week so the rest of you guys better figure out who's doing it!" Well then Tyler made the mistake of walking out of the lab to go to the restroom. While he was gone, Denise came in and said "Okay so I need one of you boys to volunteer your upper body to us!" (It just so happened we had 4 people in our group of 10 were guys). Well we then discovered that the other three guys were a little on the hairy side and one of the girls mentioned that Tyler shaves his chest so as soon as Tyler walked back in Denise let him know that he once again had the privilege of baring his upper body to the rest of us. So he got set up on the examination table (they're just like the one's in the doctor's offices) and while he was getting set up she asked for two more volunteers, then she gave them two crayola markers (washable)... Well Tyler's chest and abdomen then started to look like a small child's coloring book, especially after the liver was drawn on the wrong side and had to be redrawn. Other organs that we're including in this new work of body art-- the uterus and fallopian tubes. Of course since it was two girls in charge of the drawing, they made sure to label these parts. Unfortunately my camera was dead so I couldn't get a picture but I'm sure you can picture this at least some what.

After we were drawing, we some how got into another conversation about saggy breasts...which then led into a conversation about elongated testicles.... It went a little something like this:
Denise-- "So you know how women get saggy breasts as they age, well that is due to an elongating of a tendon. Well gentlemen have the same thing, sort of, except the tendon that elongates with them deals with their testicles. So older gentleman, if theirs are elongated to much and they sit down on the toilet, their testicles touch the water, then they can have a heart attack and possibly die!" WOW! So now you're prepared if you ever end up in that situation! No need to thank me-- these stories are like my own free version of a PSA! Your welcome :o)

No comments: