background

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oh Sweet Drug Test!

All of my nursing school paperwork is due tomorrow, so I've spent the last two days running around town (..and getting lost) gathering up random paperwork, getting my CPR certification, a tetanus shot, and the always exciting drug test!

The part I hate most... okay thinking about it, lets say second most... is the fact that you're not supposed to drink anything four hours before hand... Seriously?!? I'm not sure I know a single person that follows this. Since I had a super long class this morning it made it easier for me to compile a sizable "specimen," although it was a VERY long ride and definitely not fun when I couldn't find the place. But I got there! With dry pants too... barely! The lady was super fast at setting up and gave me all the instructions and said, "Most importantly DON'T FLUSH!" I nodded, seemed like pretty simple instructions. Then she said "Good luck!" To which I responded, "Oh, I've been saving this for you all morning!"

So sit down to do my best at... well you know. The whole time thinking, there has got to better way for ladies to do this! So I started thinking up all these devices for such an activity, and before I knew it I was done! But all my thinking led me to make a crucial error.... I flushed the toilet! I broke the golden drug test rule! The lady had told me and there were signs everywhere, but in all my excitement of making millions off urine specimen collection, I just did what I always do and flushed. Fortunately, the lady checked the protocol for my school and there was nothing that said I had to redo it, but she did let me know that OHSU protocol states if you flush, you have to stay until they can gather another sample. Good thing U.P. skipped that part or who knows how long I would have been there!

2 comments:

Neal, Melissa, Ella, Aubrey and Ainsley said...

I just hope that in all your fluster that you didn't forget your million dollar urine collection idea!

Laura said...

Ok I don't care how many signs are around...I would flush too. It's way too much of a habit not to do it.