background

Monday, January 11, 2010

Say Yes to the Dress

The whole wedding planning deal seems to be kicking in to gear a bit more with the dawning of the new year.  This past weekend my mom and Roy came up to visit. Prior to their arrival, I attempted to make appointments to try on dresses at a bridal shop here in town (Charlotte's Bridal) but of course this didn't happen until the last minute. They ended up not having any appointments for Saturday, but put me on the waiting list in case there cancellations. The whole reason for even trying to get an appointment is due to (1) between my mom, sister, and I, our schedules don't mesh well; (2) I had made an appointment at Memory Makers in Roseburg for the weekend we could go home but then my mom realized she couldn't go because she had a work meeting all day (the schedule thing again); and (3) I was trying to make sure my mom could go dress shopping at some point because I didn't think I was going to get back down there before March (when I needed to have my dress ordered by) and not sure if she could get back up here.  So since I failed at the first place, I just decided to make an appointment at David's Bridal and hope I would get a call from the first place about an opening.  Well my luck must be with me this year because Saturday morning (after I had given up hope of them calling) Charlotte's called and asked if I could come in at three. I said, "Heck yes I can!" Then called David's and made some dumb excuse that my mom was sick and cancelled there (the appointments were at the same time anyway so there was definitely no way we could have made it).

Since the appointment was so last minute, Melissa and a couple of my other friends in the area were already busy so it ended up just being my mom, Roy, and I, but at the end of the day we were successful! I ended up getting the first dress I put on, although I tried on at least ten others.  I think the most frequent comment made was, "Well I like this one, but the first one was better!" One really funny comment was made during the appointment while I was getting measured. The girl took my measurements and then was looking at the size charts and goes, "Well your a four in the bust, a four in the waist, and an eight in the hips/butt area..." To which my mom responded, "Double the trouble!"  The worst part about having the dress is that I can't show the one person I really want to, Brett. He won't even let me tell him about it. I have a hard enough time keeping a Christmas present a secret for a few weeks (although this year I did really good) and now I have to keep this to myself for nine months.... We'll see how that goes!

Now we have a date, a place, and I have a dress. This weekend we are headed to a bridal show up here in Portland to try to get some ideas and then the next weekend we're heading south to go to the bridal show at Seven Feathers.  It'll give us a chance to visit the family and hopefully we'll find some vendors and get more of this planning business out of the way! First things first though, I should probably finish picking/asking my bridesmaids!

No comments: