background

Saturday, February 27, 2010

If it's not one thing....

My luck with expensive things seems to be running out lately; exhibit A: my car debacle a few weeks ago. Well ladies and gentlemen of the court, we now have a new piece of "evidence" to present: the crashing of my computer.

It was a rainy, dreary afternoon here in the good ol' pacific northwest. One of those days where you'd rather stay inside. Not me! ...mainly because I new if I stayed inside that I should work on my research paper that's due Monday. Instead, I went in search of paper and stamps for our wedding invitations.  The trip was a huge success and I was excited to come home and finish designing my sample on my computer and then trying out the new stamp. That excitement was ended quickly when I tried to start my computer. Especially when two hours later, I was still trying to start my computer.

I tried everything. I tried scanning the hard drive (it said it was fine) and doing the PC recovery; nothing! I then set the computer aside and drowned my sorrows in a box of samoas for about thirty minutes. I knew I could take it in but I new that fixing a computer is almost as expensive as going to doctor or fixing a car, but realizing I was out of options and in great need of my computer I had no choice. I ran up the Geek Squad up at Best buy where I was told by a man with a long beard, white shirt, and black tie, "with everything you've told me it's probably the hard drive or possibly even the mother board. To diagnose the problem, that's about $70. Then whatever the cost will go up from there depending on what you have to replace, but you're looking about $200 or more." My thought: Awesome! Then he said my favorite part of the whole conversation, "However, with a computer this vintage you're probably better off to just go buy a new computer."

Okay dude, seriously?! Vintage?! It's not like this was the first laptop ever made. It's like four years old. It probably looks older than it is due to the fact that there's a button missing (it came off after I had just replaced a different key and I refused to replace it because I knew as soon as I did another one would come off) and there is electrical tape wrapped around the powercord. Anyway I was trying not to laugh at this guy who was being super nice, but a small chuckle definitely got out.

After this conversation we decided to go check out the computer section to see how much this new computer was going to run us. Because we want to get a Mac desktop in the near future (and we didn't have the cash to drop on it currently), we weren't looking to spend a ton. After talking with a guy, we were able to find this lovely little Compaq that I'm currently coming to you from for $350. It's actually slightly better than the computer I had and will definitely do the trick. So Brett and I talked it over and decided it was definitely our best and probably only option and as you probably already know, purchased it.

Now I just have to take my computer back in to hopefully (HOPEFULLY!!!) get the stuff off the hard drive. I really wasn't worried about the pictures because I'm fairly certain I have all the ones I wanted, saved off of the computer. My music, well with all the music I had on there/money spent getting that music I would be stupid not to care about that. However, my biggest worry of all was not these first two things other people would be worried about (or all my school documents that are on there, which aren't a super big deal because the one's that are in progress are uploaded online), no it was all the wedding stuff, especially the addresses. So fingers crossed that when I go back in there, they will be able to get that stuff off of there. If not, at least they'll refund my money on that part...

No comments: